Applications to become a Global Mentor for AY 2022-23 are now open!
Global Mentors (GMs) are student leaders that serve an integral role in the successful transition of incoming international students, during the first two quarters of the academic year. We are looking for enthusiastic, dedicated student leaders who have strong interpersonal skills and a genuine desire to help new international students. We are looking for both domestic and international students to join our team!
Global Mentors are selected before the start of the academic year and work with Global Programming until the end of the following winter quarter.
Why should you be a Global Mentor?
- Personal Development: You will interact with people from all over the world, learn a lot about yourself as you help others, and learn about other cultures and experiences
- Professional Development: You will have the chance to develop leadership, intercultural communication, and professional skills while gaining valuable experience to put on your resume
- Exciting events and day trips: explore California and learn about local culture
Global Mentor Responsibilities
- Mentor up to at least 3 international mentees (possibility of up to 5)
- Conduct weekly check-ins with mentees and organize online/in-person events to foster connections including meet-ups, study groups, dinners, etc.
- Coordinate one activity open to the entire Global Mentorship Program Community
- Actively participate in quarterly program-wide events (e.g., Welcome Event)
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and training throughout the summer and academic year
- Other duties as assigned
- Length of term: Two quarters of mentorship (fall 2022 – winter 2023), and one quarter of professional and leadership development (spring 2023)
- 1-3 hours per week (varies depending on responsibilities)
- A quarterly stipend for fall and winter will be provided to Global Mentors
Who can apply?
International or domestic students who:
- Have been at UCSC for at least two (2) quarters
- Have a 2.0 or higher cumulative GPA
How do I apply?
The initial application is available here. Those who successfully apply and make it through the interview round will then be asked to fill out a Mentor Collective application to be matched with their mentees.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.